Searching...
Sunday, March 17, 2013

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

4:32 PM
by Portia Nelson:

Chapter 1. I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter 2. I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place, but it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

Chapter 4. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

Chapter 5. I walk down another street.


I love this story, because it is very much about mindset. When we are young or new to something, we do not know what we do not know. We make mistakes. In the beginning, we may not understand that these mistakes are learning moments. Often we do not accept responsibility for our own mistakes, and until we do, we continue to make the same mistakes, over and over and over....

The universe has a way of repeating these lessons for us, if we do not learn from them. The lessons are easy in the beginning, and get harder if we do not change.

By accepting responsibility for our mistakes, and by cultivating an attitude of embracing mistakes for what they are - an opportunity to learn and grow from them - successful people achieve progress.

In real estate investing, as in all other aspects of life, we should strive to make failures simply a stepping stone on the path to success....



Photo courtesy of freepictures.me

0 comments:

Post a Comment